Healthcare companies are addressing staff shortages by expediting the onboarding process
Healthcare employers can’t hire and onboard new staff fast enough. Addressing the healthcare staffing shortages requires many interventions, including simplifying hiring, onboarding and orientation. That’s why savvy healthcare organizations use technology to make applying and completing onboarding and orientation requirements faster and more accessible. Read on to find out how the new onboarding point-and-click system from showd.me can expedite healthcare onboarding and even hiring.
The healthcare workforce is in crisis as staff leave jobs and Baby Boomers are aging. For every healthcare applicant, there are multiple job openings in the industry. Low-wage applicants typically apply for jobs in other sectors as well.
To compete, every healthcare organization needs to simplify hiring and onboarding.
According to a 2021 report conducted by industry market analytic firm Mercer, by 2025, the U.S. is estimated to have a shortage of approximately…
- 46,000 home health aides
- 95,000 nursing assistants
- 98,700 medical and lab technologists and technicians
- 29,000+ nurse practitioners
According to the report, the numbers are most extreme among low-wage healthcare workers. “The need for these workers will grow over the next five years to around 10.7 million. Yet, if United States workforce trends hold, more than 6.5 million individuals will permanently leave these jobs within five years while only 1.9 million will step in to take their place.”
It’s critical that healthcare organizations improve staff retention and grow the applicant pool by simplifying hiring, onboarding and orientation.
Employers need to meet prospective healthcare employees where they are
Companies having the most success with hiring are reaching prospective employees where they are – on their phones, speaking multiple languages.
To put it bluntly, in the caregiver world, if you’re still using emails, you’re not reaching them. Most companies use SMS for customers or clients. If you’re not using text messages for employees as well,, you’re already behind.
Healthcare employers need to have a way to reach prospective employees in real-time. The following illustrates a typical scenario of an applicant for a low-wage healthcare job:
A woman, who speaks English as a second language, will apply online for a healthcare job with the help of a family member. She’ll also apply for jobs in other industries, like food service and retail. The healthcare company takes a few days to respond over email to set up an interview. She doesn’t often check her email because it’s primarily full of spam. When she does see it, she’s asked to print and fill out several Adobe PDFs and scan them to send back to the company. She has no printer and doesn’t know how to scan a form. Even the Adobe forms that allow a user to sign electronically are challenging with her limited tech skills on her phone.
Meanwhile, the big box cashier job immediately responded, making it easy to schedule an interview. She filled out forms in her native language at a digital kiosk on site. She’s already started the job.
Low-wage healthcare employees play an essential role in providing care for individuals who need assistance with activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing and meal preparation.
However, hiring and onboarding new staff members can be daunting for agencies.
Make onboarding for healthcare jobs easier
Onboarding and orientation are critical first steps for every job. Not only does it ease employees into a new role, but it forms their first impression of your company. When your organization simplifies hiring and onboarding, your new staff will know their new employers are organized and efficient.
- Use technology to simplify processes: Applying and onboarding should be easy. Technology is helpful for hiring and onboarding, but only if it’s self-explanatory for your target employees. At showd.me, we expedite your ability to onboard new staff with our point-and-click forms system.
- Make the hiring process multilingual: If your staff typically speaks multiple languages, ensure your applications, instructions and messages are in their native language. showd.me forms are available in four languages: English, Spanish, Mandarin and Russian.
- Streamline the hiring process: Make job postings clear and concise and use a consistent screening process for all applicants. Consider using automated applicant tracking software to expedite the process and track applicants.
- Develop a comprehensive onboarding program: Create a structured onboarding program that covers all aspects of the job, including policies and procedures, patient care, communication and safety. Make it easy to complete all necessary forms and training.
- Provide ongoing training and support: Ongoing training and support are essential to help staff members stay up-to-date with the latest industry standards and best practices. At showd.me, we make it easy for employees to complete continuing education courses and courses that contribute to a positive work culture and help reduce stress.
Healthcare companies must find ways to make it easier to apply and start working. At showd.me, we make it easier to onboard new hires with our ready-to-use, point-and-click forms system. Click here to schedule a demo.
Let Us Show You More
See how showd.me's unique service-first approach helps hundreds of healthcare organizations ensure compliance. Request a demo today!